If you take this seminar,
you will learn how to:
- Select the most appropriate method of payment
for the importer and exporter.
- Compare the cost
and risks of the various letter of credit options.
a letter of credit and get paid under its terms.
discrepancies under a letter of credit and
resolve any disputes that may occur.
- Analyze and
choose alternative methods of financing international
Full-Day Session - 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
$595 - View
Certificate Issued Upon Completion.
It's all about getting paid.
What's the point of entering
into a sales agreement—domestic
or international—if the buyer
doesn't pay the seller and
either party walks away unhappy?
This seminar teaches you
how to make a sale that guarantees
the seller gets paid and
the buyer gets the help he
or she needs to finance the
Come to this one-day seminar armed with your questions.
Small class sizes and a knowledgeable teacher allow
for a great interaction between attendees and the
instructor. Attendees take home the 360-page Export/Import
Letters of Credit and Payment Methods reference
book filled with sample letters of credit, the
UCP 600, and other important reference materials
that will make your job easier.
I. INTRODUCTION/DECISION CRITERIA
- Letters of Credit as Method of Payment for the Exporter - Importer
- Selection of a Method of Payment
- Marketing and Sales Considerations
- Credit and Country Risk Analysis
- Appetite for Risk
- Product Type, Sales Cycle Issues e.g. Capital Goods
- Cost Structure of Company as a Decision Factor
II. COMPARE TO L/C (FLOW, RISK, COST, ADMINISTRATION)
- Documentary Collection
- Direct Collection
- Cash in Advance
- Open Account
III. REVIEW OF L/C PROCEDURE AS EXPORTER AND AS IMPORTER
- Receipt, Review, Preparation, Submission, Payment
- Role of Exporter's Bank
- Application, Payment, Receipt of Documents
- Role of Importer's Bank
- Importer Financing and Credit Issues
IV. LOOK AT VARIOUS TYPES OF L/C'S
- Discussion of Timing of Transactions
- Wording of the Draft on each Type of L/C
V. SPECIAL TYPES OF LETTERS OF CREDIT
- As Exporter and as Importer
VI. UNIFORM CUSTOMS AND PRACTICE FOR DOCUMENTARY CREDITS
- RULES OF THE ARTICLES AND NOT ON EACH ARTICLE
- Liability of Banks, Recourse, Legal Environment
- Commentary on the UCC of the United States
- Discussion on UCP 600 new provisions
VII. TRANSACTION REVIEW - EXPORT LETTER OF CREDIT WITH COMMENTS ON UCP
- Sight Draft and Time Draft with L/C Wording for Discounting
- Bill of Lading - How to Control Goods
- Packing List and Commercial Invoice
- Discussion of Documents/Discrepancies - Why; How to resolve
- Transaction Review; Import Letter of Credit
VIII. CASE STUDY ON AN EXPORT LETTER OF CREDIT
IX. OVERVIEW OF NON-TRADITIONAL
- Lease Finance
- Sale of Insured A/R (Export Credit Insurance)